Ep #153 – Meghan McCallum – From Firefighter to Real Estate Investor – owns 40+ units
Here’s some of what you will learn:
- Spent 14 years working as a firefighter and then went into real estate.
- Why a great way to get started in this business is by buying a plex and living in it.
- How to rent a property out on Airbnb if the city has a law against it.
- When investing in multifamily, it could be less work than single family because you will have a team.
- Don’t be afraid of larger properties. If the numbers are right, be confident that you can make it happen and make an offer.
- Why mom and pop apartment buildings (5-30 units) is the sweet spot to invest in.
- Be careful of what bankers suggest, they want you to settle while the investor wants you to get a deal.
- If you trust your realtor, you can sign a bunch of earnest money checks and leave the “To” portion blank to help speed up the process.
- How broker relationships will make you wealthy.
- Why you should ask anyone you know for appraisals on their properties.
- Going to REA’s will help you learn from other people and find others that will help you.
- Starting up your own REA meeting will add value to your business because you will be looked at as an influencer.
- Where to find deals in this current market.
- Why you should always do walkthroughs right before you close on a deal.
- How to make your undesirable units, desirable.
- The quickest way to get started in investing in this business is to partner with someone who has experience and is making moves.
- Why you should join a group where everybody is willing to share their ideas/experiences/data.
contact Meghan at –> Meghan@McCallumholdings.com